SPENCER IS ONE!!!!
Our baby is ONE! I say "our" very collectively here because in the boy's eyes he's definitely not just Mom's and Dad's baby, he's theirs too.
I didn't think I'd have time to sit down and write about him today because this week is packed, but I've just found twenty minutes to myself, so I'll take it. Fair warning though, my mother heart just wants to gush right now!
Spencer August Porter. When he was fresh out they laid him on my chest and the first thing he tried to do was lift his head up as he cried and tried to take in this new place. He's naturally such a physical explorer, meaning he really likes to be hands on with the world. My guess is that he is a kinesthetic learner, but I'm excited to watch and witness how he processes the world around him over time.
His hands are very active. When he's swaddled up I see his fingers curling and uncurling beneath his thin gauzy blanket. When he was nursing, he would play with my shirt. Now when he's laying down and drinking a bottle he's playing with his shirt, his hair, the edges of his diaper, or my shirt if I'm holding him. I love his thick warm baby hands.
In the car, his favorite thing to do is look out his window. I catch him with his head forward watching the world outside 80% of the time. I can't count how many times we've been out running errands or at the park and I think, "Surely Spencer has fallen asleep after all that," only to look and be surprised that he's leaning his head forward looking out his window. He'll often do the same thing in his stroller too. He's just excited to be engaged with the world around him.
When he's distraught in the car I put on classical music and reach one hand back to hold his hand or play with his hair. When I take away my hand he starts crying again until I reach back for him. Physical touch. I wouldn't be surprised if that sticks as his primary love language.
When I'm putting Spencer down for a nap I like to pretend like I can read his mind. His thoughts seem to go somewhat like this:
Spencer is smiley and a bit giggly when I lay him down on his blanket to be swaddled. I begin to swaddle him and a new expression crosses his face. Wait a second. How did I let her get me here again?
I hold him vertically as I start to pace his room and sing. His body leans a bit and I can tell he's ready to lay horizontally. I shift him to be cradled in my arms and he looks up with a somewhat defiant glare. I'm not tired, but I'll humor you for a while. But I'm not tired.
His eye lids start drooping and he snuggles in with his binky. Well, while I'm here...and since you're just so warm...
Oh, I love him. I love that he lays his head on my shoulder when he's around strangers and I love that he cries when Jayce leaves for work. I love feeling his thighs squish into the palm of my hand when I'm holding him at my hip and I love that he reaches up for me when he can tell I'm about to pick him up. I love that he's triggered this magical phase of motherhood for me that's caused me to soak all of the boys in more. I appreciate them all more because of Spencer somehow. Something about having another baby in the house I guess!
I just love this sweet little boy and I'm so happy he's here. Happy one year Spencer Baby!

For grandparent's sake (and my own because I used to have to mail DVD's out) here is Spencer's 1 year slide show.




Comments
Post a Comment